Monday, April 27, 2015

Letter From Judy McDonald

Judy McDonald is a board member and the mother of Thomas McDonald, the founder of Coprodeli USA. She has been volunteering at Coprodeli Peru almost every year for the past ten years. Below is her letter after her most recent trip.

March 23, 2015

Dear Members of the Coprodeli Board,


Recently I returned from visiting Padre Miguel at Coprodeli, in Callao.  I feel compelled to write and tell you some of my observations and experiences.  I spent almost five weeks with the Coprodeli people, this being my eighth visit to Peru.

Coprodeli Staff
Olga Samborska Moroz and Marissa Joakim are the two women working for Coprodeli USA at the office in Callao.  They welcomed me warmly and I was happy to have the opportunity to help them with some work.  They are like the rest of the staff in Callao…smart, focused, likable, dedicated and diligent.  You can feel comfortable that they are doing well in their positions.  I am not involved in social media, but they are tapping into that territory with a vengeance and they seem to be successful.


This year, more than ever before, I am awed by all that Padre Miguel Ranera ( Padre ) and his dedicated team have accomplished.  The staff perform as a very well organized, dedicated and competent group of people.  They take their lead from Padre, their fearless and extremely focused leader.  It is hard for me to put a handle on it, but this year just seemed different.

Coprodeli San Martin School and Outreach Center, in Pachacutec, Peru
I can give you a few examples.  The schools that were built in Pachacutec and Callao how many years ago have the appearance of well-established centers of education.  The directors and other educators of these schools seem to be extremely capable, focused, knowledgeable, very dedicated and proud of what they are doing.  It was wonderful to see.

 I visited the Coprodeli Outreach Center (CAE) classes in Callao and Independencia. Both of the programs are well established. The students were amazing.  They were having fun, but they were so orderly, polite and engaging that it was absolutely a pleasure to be with them.  There was a sense of calmness, safety and nurturing in the air.  Children were nice to each other.

Outreach Center in Los Barracones, Peru
I spent a morning at the new Coprodeli Outreach Center (CAE) in Los Barracones in Callao, not ten minutes from the Coprodeli office. This is one of the worst areas in the Lima area.  Padre has been asked by city officials to bring his programs to the area and be a factor in turning the area around.  This is a high order, an enormous mission, one which is right up Padre’s alley!  The program here runs during the morning, culminating with a large, healthy lunch and then dismissal.  There were probably 14-16 kids there, mostly boys, and the atmosphere was totally different than the others I had just visited. I admire the staff and as I said before, I cannot imagine dealing with these kids on a daily basis. I was exhausted after the few hours I spent there.  I look forward to returning another year and finding the same calm and order that exists at all of the other CAEs.

Padre Miguel and Judy McDonald on a boat in the Peruvian Jungle
Padre Miguel is very patient with me and takes very good care of me.  When he is out of town someone is assigned to watch over me.  

I will tell you a little bit of what is going on in the jungle…from my eyes.  It appears to me that some of the eight sites are welcoming the Coprodeli “model” of school and its education process.  There is work to be done and people are receptive to the upcoming changes.  There are the actual school buildings that need cleaning and updating, and teachers that need to be observed/approved or replaced. Although it is not an easy area to work in, Padre has totally committed himself and appropriate staff to this region of San Martin, in the jungle.  It was a gift for me to be able to be witness to this new area of improvement and growth for Coprodeli.

Maria Teresa Fernandez, Padre Miguel, and Judy McDonald in the Peruvian Jungle
During different meetings or after some masses, Padre would introduce me, along with other new faces, to the group in attendance.  A full time volunteer from Spain, Gus by nickname (Maria Teresa Fernandez), was usually introduced with me.  She runs all of Coprodeli Spain and among other activities, manages the 500-600 “padrinos” (child sponsors) of Spain.  (We may have close to 150.)  Anyway, at one of these times I gave my little talk, in Spanish, and mentioned the following.  “There are always two things that are sure to happen when I spend a day with Padre.  There is always an adventure and there is always a miracle!”  And, it is true.

Judy McDonald in Coprodeli office in Callao, Peru
Please feel free to ask me any details or questions about my trip.  I welcome the opportunity of writing more about my time with Padre in PerĂº.
I look forward to my next visit,

Judy McDonald



No comments:

Post a Comment